Friday, April 29, 2011

Stop Talking about Why You Cant - JUST MOVE! - A rambling and muddled (but valid!) convo about self confidence and perfectionism as a roadblock.

Do you know how long it took me to let other people read my work? Wasted time.
Apparently a lot of people think my random, clumsy, candid ramblings are worth buying.

its not about quality of work when it comes to what people will buy. The quality of the work comes from the artist. But dont let your passion for perfection be the roadblock. There is a time and place for genius. Get your foot in the door with "less than absolutely perfect". Then outdo yourself. Thats when you get to be the genius. I think its all about packaging.

No one cares about the genius of anything unless it comes in pretty packaging. For an artist, that packaging is gonna be either shiny and one-hit-wonder... or it can be tried and true, good quality work every time.
I say if you put out "good" work, you set the stage for perfect, later. You open the door... or get the attention you need first. Then shine!
(rambling now, this prob should go in a blog.)
Lol
people smile and nod and say oh yes this person has long history of doing great work. Mediocre at best. But they have experience. I could call myself all kinds of things. Confidence is something NO one has. Its all fake. Front. Splash screen to divert attention from the insecure artist to the product. Sell sell sell. Yourself. Just not short.
make sense? No. But just think about it. Or not.

After the rambling and chest bumping pep talk ... lol .my point is, try not to be intimidated by other's work. your genius is the only one like it. And its just as awesome and valuable and lucrative as anyone else's. they just stopped showing their insecurities sooner than you did. Thats my biggest hitch for self confidence. So thats the advice I can give.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Dang you hit the nail on my head with this one! My pursuit of perfection has kept me frozen and it only recently that I have realized this. Thanks for this insightful and confirming post.

Maya said...

LOL I'm so happy someone found something good in this! Seemed like I Was trying to say something that just refused to come out right. It just wouldnt be perfect! But I put it out there anyway. Feels good to connect. Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...