Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Advice for my Little Sister: DIVA101


So my little sister, who is 26 and gorgeous, said to me the other day: I dont know how to be sexy! Im tired of being "Cute". I'm a grown woman!" I felt like my response to her was noteworthy... or at least my-own-blog-worthy! lol Here is my version of DIVA101






A DIVA has a "Polished" complete look.
How to "Polish" your look.

Always wear SOME thing on your face. You can keep thinking that "lip gloss and earrings" are all you need to be "naturally pretty" if you wanna. Its cool, do you. But if you want to look like a grown up, or at least older than 14, OR you can LEARN your everyday made-up ( not cake-face! We aren't saying slop on a drag queen mask! ) face. Take Della here, for example:
my cousin Della :)


Her “everyday glam” face is black eyeliner, brown eyebrow liner, foundation and mascara. Clear or tinted lip gloss. No colors. Just “look at me I’m naturally pretty”. She uses a bit of pinky blush but doesn’t need a lot, at least not for the everyday look. That’s Simple Diva 101. Now.. if you want Della's simple glam look:


Della Prom

You would need to wear more foundation and heavier black liner and mascara, slightly darker-lined eyebrows. On her is STILL looks like minimal makeup because it lacks color. Its called the Basic Smoky Eye look. ( At least I call it that, lol.) Any skin tone/color can do that, the darker and more even the skin tone, the less foundation you need. Just a little goes a long way, or none at all, just a bit of moisturizer on the cheeks works for us ‘ cinnamon bown to dark chocolate chicas’.

See me do it too:


My "everyday glam" face.


A DIVA Never leaves the house with a "bare face"..
Basic Essentials:

Eyebrows are the MOST important face framing attribute on a woman's head. She could rock a fade or a fro and any thing in between on its worst day, and still be fly with her brows done! Some people have to draw some on, and some are blessed with naturally thick eyebrows. Either way, commit to be getting them done weekly MA’AM, since you wanna stop looking like you’re 12 and cute. You wanna be grown up pretty? Do them brows! Nothing huge, just a clean up of strays and slight arch on the bottom side. And though you don’t need MUCH brow liner. It DOES finish the look off.





Learn to LINE your eyes. At first I was not an advocate of eyeliner because it makes my eyes red and I never did it right. I still don’t do the whole eye. You can create the illusion of almond shaped eyes or the “sexy eye” by using the Brittany spears trick: Line only the OUTSIDE CORNERS, more on top lid than the bottom. Like a Jessica rabbit Eye. Watching my girl Shanica, it DOES make brown eyes look lighter. Gives them that Beyonce “I might have hazel eyes, kinda in my dreams when I’m sleep” lookin Eyes. Lol It REALLY does brighten them. Blue liner is VERY dramatic and dainty and pretty. Especially by the end of the day when its smudged a bit or darkened with black liner mixed. Using a good crayon waxy pencil is best. Those regular dry pencils suck. Color Pot and angled wand work WONDERS for both the eyes and brows.



You MUST wear mascara. Although I put this after the brows and liner, It is Rule #1 when dressing up like a woman, not a girl. Don’t leave the house without it. A woman's lashes are her "eye curtains" so to speak. You put curtains on windows and viola! They are fabulous, and no longer plain. You are doing a disservice by NOT wearing mascara to show them off! For beginnger buyers, I'd advise NOT to go out and get the plumpy-est, thickener that promises to never wash off and babysit your kids. Something easy to start with is a water resistant, anti clumping 'scara that is tried (and true and doesnt cost $65.)


My personal fav: Victoria's Secret, Beauty Rush $5

SMELL. ALWAYS ALWAYS AWLAYS have a yummy smell. None of this “Irish spring sport deodorant mess”. lol Perfume. Something that you REALLY love. Wear it 24/7. Or switch up. But a consistent smell I always thought was better, I just can never stick to one. Wear something you like but make it classy, not too sweet or too fruity like a teenager. Also... make sure you wear enough not to kill a small bear, but enough so people know when you’ve been around and when you haven’t. Diva. Lol

My FAV soft, winter scent. Prominent Notes: Caramel popcorn, Strawberries $60



A Diva has a "pop" accessory.
Maybe, try Shoes or Clutch bags.

If not the shoes, pick an accessory that you ALWAYS have better than most people around you. This is a funny statement, but it is TRUE. Shoes are a dead giveaway for signs of true Diva-ness. Be it 6 inch pumps or smackahoe boots, make sure your shoe/purse/jewelry/hair game is ON point. These are the facts maam, the way I see it. Chicks that don’t do these things are what Diva’s eat for brunch with mimosa and 2 advil, honey. Lol



BONUS!
A DIVA's purse ALWAYS contains anything needed to pull together an "emergency look":
Start carrying a purse, little boy. Or a cute little clutch that holds your makeup essentials which are:

  • Masacara 
  • liner that can double for both eyes and brows 
  • body spray 
  • lip gloss 
  • Stud or hoop earrings 

Not too much, right? :)

Love ya chula,

`Maya


Next Email I will write to her on this topic… POISE and POSE. How to position your body to look naturally camera ready at all times!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...